Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Pawley's Island 2010 Reviews

My recent trip to Pawleys Island allowed me to play 4 new courses in the Myrtle Beach area. Bringing my total to 37 different courses (many multiple times) played up and down the Grand Stand. Here are my reviews of these courses.

Tradition Golf Club A Ron Garl course on a rolling former plantation. Conditions were very good on this somewhat old style course. 6313 yards with a 70.0 rating and 122 slope this course was very fun to play. Large landing areas and pretty generous bermuda greens. Overall, a wonderfull experience and I would play this course again. $55 for a summer time walk-on with cart, I was basically the only one on the course.

River Club I was very much looking forward to playing this Tom Jackson course. When I arrived for my tee time, I was confused that the place was empty. As I checked in I was told that they had just dressed the greens a couple of days before and that was the reason for the lack of players. Having booked my rounds weeks in advanced I was pretty disappointed that I paid full price for greens that were basically covered in sand. Lots of water here and while the course was somewhat fun, I kept getting the impression that I had seen these holes before. Including an island green par 3 and the 18 hole par 5 over water. River Club has bent grass greens that they seems to really be having issues with them. As I understand it, they have/are considering closing the course and switching the greens to bermuda. Bent grass greens can exist in the hot humid climate of Myrtle Beach, Crow Creek can attest to that. But Bermuda greens are better suited to the climate.

Willbrook Plantation I am a huge fan of Dan Maples and his courses (The Witch, Heritage Club, The Pit) are some of my favorites. Willbrook Plantation is another in a long line of Mr. Maples courses that I will play over and over again. This course had some of the longest and toughest par 5's of any of his courses I have played, averaging almost 500 yards from the white tees. Lots of water and dommed greens make this a very challaging and fun course. I will definitely play here again.

Litchfield Country Club Entering Litchfield is like taking a trip through time. This course was designed in 1964 by Willard Byrd and is one of the orginal courses in the area. Time took a toll on this course, however some recent upgrades and improvements have brought the course back. It still needs some work, but the old syle layout is wonderfull. No trickery here, just some really good old school design. Overall a wonderful round of golf on a classic course.

No comments: